LEVEL II (permanent) CERTIFICATION: PDE has advised that educators waiting until the end of their six year period to submit their applications for Level II run the risk of a lapsed certificate. IT IS HIGHLY RECOMMENDED THAT EDUCATORS SUBMIT APPLICATIONS FOR LEVEL II as soon as all requirements are met.
LEVEL I & LEVEL II CERTFICATION INFORMATION: Pennsylvania currently has two levels of certifications. A Level I certificate is considered a “temporary” certificate and is valid for a specific number of service years, during which time you must complete educational and service requirements. Upon completion of these requirements, the Level I may be converted to a Level II certificate, which is considered “permanent.” If the Level I certificate is not converted within its validity period, it will lapse. Educators cannot be employed in a Pennsylvania public school with a lapsed certificate.
Requirements to Convert from Level I to Level II Certification
24 post baccalaureate credits**
Educators holding a Level I certificate, who were awarded their initial baccalaureate degree after October 1, 1963, must provide evidence of 24 semester hour post-baccalaureate credits, six of which must be associated with the area(s) of certification and/or designed to improve the professional practice, to meet the education requirement for conversion to a Level II certificate. Sealed transcripts of the post baccalaureate credits must be provided to PDE at the time of conversion.
• Educators must have 3 years of satisfactory service on Level I.
• Educator must possess at least six semi-annual evaluations of satisfactory performance on the Level I certificate in the area for which the certificate was issued.
• Satisfactory service is verified via the Teacher Information Management System (TIMS) for schools provisioned to access TIMS or the PDE-338P form for non-provisioned educational entities.
• Educators must complete an Induction Program.
• Educators must provide a money order for $125.00 made payable to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.
• Supervisor must complete a 427 evaluation form.
Once all the requirements are met, the educator must apply for a Level II through TIMS. Please notify Human Resources prior to applying in TIMS. Human Resource will assist you with the process.